I learned something interesting in Japanese class yesterday and felt like sharing it. It's all beginner stuff, but in Japan, people do not simply call sushi すし 'sushi.' They add an honorific before it, making it おすし 'osushi.' Honorifics are added before a lot of different things to express a certain level of respect, and to us it may seem odd to want to honor or give respect to sushi, but in Japan it's just the way things go.
Also, here's something to remember the next time you go into a Japanese restaurant - and if the people working there speak Japanese. Before you eat, you say いただきほす 'itadakimasu,' and after you're done you say ごちそうさまでした 'gochiso-sama deshita.' I'm going to try this when I get the chance.
さようなら! Sayo-nara!
P.S. Many of us, myself included, have pronounced 'sayo-nara' incorrectly. It's not SAI-oh-nar-uh, but sai-OH-na-ra! The more you know.
I learned something I didn't know. Honoring Sushi eh? I have to remember that for next time I go to Japan!
ReplyDelete